Kyle Busch goes ‘Beast Mode’ on media in Phoenix after NASCAR meeting

Photo by Harold Hinson Photography

By Yvonne Jones, Staff Writer

If you blinked, you probably missed Kyle Busch’s interview as he emerged from the NASCAR hauler at Phoenix Raceway Friday morning.

The 31-year-old Joe Gibbs driver and Joey Logano met with NASCAR officials at the one-mile track to discuss the postrace altercation that took place between them on pit road at Las Vegas Motor Speedway last Sunday.

But Busch didn’t share much as the waiting media swarmed him for comment. He answered every question with the same answer and same delivery. It was quick.

“Everything is great,” said the Las Vegas native over and over. “Really looking forward to getting back in my car and being here in Phoenix.”

Busch’s time with the answer-seeking media lasted less than a minute as he pulled a Marshawn Lynch, otherwise known as ‘Beast Mode.’  Lynch, a former Seattle Seahawks running back, answered every question during the 2015 Super Bowl Media Day with “I’m just here so I don’t get fined.”

Busch, a Denver Broncos fan, was peppered with questions like “are you OK with Joey moving forward?” but by then he was in full ‘Beast Mode.’ In the case of Lynch, who at the time had been threatened with a $500K fine if he didn’t make himself available to reporters, he gave the NFL media a heads-up that he had just one quote for them.

The NASCAR media on Friday had no idea that they were in for a one-liner from Busch.

Logano, on the other hand, provided more than just one sound bite.

With a smile, the 26-year-old talked about the meeting that followed Sunday’s incident which started as he and Busch battled in the top 5 on the last lap of the Kobalt 400. The two made contact and Busch’s No. 18 M&M’s Toyota went spinning toward the entrance of pit road. He ended up 22nd; Logano fourth. Busch hunted down Logano after the race and threw a punch but the scrum on pit road was quickly broken up.

“I really just tried to explain I made a mistake underneath him [Kyle Busch],” said Logano, driver of the No. 22 Pennzoil Ford. “That’s basically what it was. He [Busch] asked for some data. I was able to show him that. It was pretty clear in my opinion what happened, so that’s that and we’ll move on.”

Logano said he believed face-to-face was the best way to attempt a reconciliation, but isn’t sure the hatchet had been buried.

“Time will tell,” Logano said. “All I can do at this point is plead my case and say that, ‘Hey, it was an honest mistake.’ And it was hard racing at the end and we’re going to try to move on and all we can do is focus on our Shell-Pennzoil Ford and try to win Phoenix.”

Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer who was part of the meeting, said expectations have been laid out for Logano and Busch, and drivers in general.

“We saw two drivers racing hard, racing hard for position. We are very clear on that — with both drivers as well, O’Donnell said. “ We’ll make the same call again this weekend if we saw a very similar thing coming out of Turn 4 for position. That’s what NASCAR was built on.

“In terms of on-track, they’re very clear on something that is an intentional act, we’re going to react to, we don’t want to have to do that. Do we think they’re best friends? No, but, again, that’s not what this sport is built on. Those are two guys that we really need out there racing hard for position.”

O’Donnell also pointed out that though neither driver was penalized for his role in the brawl doesn’t mean that fighting is OK in the sport.

“We take every case on a case-by-case basis,” O’Donnell said.

 

 

2 Comments

  1. Theresa

    March 17, 2017 at 8:04 pm

    Kyle’s knowledge of the English language is exemplary lol.he should be so proud! Joey on the other hand was at least honest! However Karma will always win in the end!

    • Theresa

      March 17, 2017 at 8:05 pm

      See above

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *