- FBI Documents Show Patricia Driscoll Used Charity $$$ in Legal Fight Against Kurt Busch
- ATW: An in-depth look at NASCAR’s minor leagues
- Erik Jones Takes Checkered Flag On New Asphalt At Texas Motor Speedway
- EXCLUSIVE: Monster Energy and NASCAR making great memories together, so far
- ‘The King’ Honored With Lifetime Achievement Award By Prestigious Petersen Automotive Museum
Austin Dillon Not Sorry He Retaliated Against Cole Custer
- Updated: March 18, 2017
By Jerry Jordan, Editor
PHOENIX – A fired up Austin Dillon exited the infield care center at Phoenix Raceway and proclaimed he “didn’t destroy (Cole Custer’s) good enough” after Custer got into the back of his No. 2 Chevrolet and then he laid in wait for Custer, pinning his against the wall.
“We got taken out, that is not the end of it, he destroyed one of our racecars and I didn’t destroy his good enough,” Dillon said. “So, it’s not over with yet.”
Coming off a week when NASCAR didn’t take action against Kyle Busch for taking a swing at Joey Logano following the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at Las Vegas, Dillon said he wasn’t worried, nor expecting a penalty from NASCAR as he headed off to the Xfinity Series hauler, where he was summoned for a meeting with race officials.
“No, not at all,” Dillon said. “I don’t think NASCAR is going to penalize us. If they do, okay, but you saw what happened last week as part of this whole new movement that is going on. We’re all out there racing for our lives and our jobs and I am not going to take it.
“(If) somebody takes you out, what has NASCAR always been about, you know, you can’t let things go.”
Although the sanctioning body didn’t penalize anyone following the Las Vegas incident, NASCAR Vice President Steve O’Donnell, said they didn’t want anyone using a car as a means of retaliation on the track, which begs the question what will come of Dillon’s actions against Custer.
“It’s an emotional sport and we still view that as two drivers racing hard for position, if that escalates beyond to someone doing something intentionally on the track we are very clear that we will react,” O’Donnell said, of the Busch-Logano incident. “NASCAR is built on good hard racing, which is what we believe we saw in Las Vegas but we were clear again in our discussions with the drivers.”