Chastain to run full-time XFINITY, part time Cup in 2018.

Barry Cantrell/NKPPhoto

By Caleb Whisler, Staff Writer

JD Motorsports and Ross Chastain announced on Friday that Chastain will run the full NASCAR XFINITY Series schedule in 2018, while working on a part-time Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule with Premium Motorsports.

“I’m very excited to announce that I will be back in the No. 4 car with JDM next year,” said Chastain. “Three years ago, I got a call from Johnny, and we started building this empire together. We’ve got a long way to go, we’ve got a lot more to accomplish together, and that’s why I’m so happy to be back in the No. 4 car.”

While working with JD Motorsports since 2015, Chastain made a start in the Cup series with Premium Motorsports at Dover earlier this season.

“We did the first race with Ross in June, and it turned out really well,” said Jay Robinson, owner of Premium Motorsports. “Ross may be a young man, but he’s like a seasoned professional. Johnny and I have done a lot together for a long, long time, so when he called to talk about Ross, I was more than happy to accommodate.”

“I’m very excited that Ross came on board with JD Motorsports for another year,” said Johnny Davis, owner of JD Motorsports. “He’s been a big part of growing this team to another level, and we look forward to many good years ahead of us to grow and get better.”

In his Cup debut earlier this year, Chastain qualified 36th and finished in the 20th position. Going into this weekend, Chastain qualified in the 32nd position.

In his four years as a XFINITY driver, Chastain has collected one top-five and seven top-10 finishes. Chastain will start from the 12th in the Use Your Melon Driver Sober 200 at Dover this afternoon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *