UPDATE: Kyle Larson faces real world fallout after uttering racial slur during virtual race

File photo

Both NASCAR and Chip Ganassi Racing have released statements in response to the racial utterance by Kyle Larson during a virtual race Sunday evening. At the present time, Larson is suspended without pay from his duties related to the No. 42 car.

Chip Ganassi Racing: “We are extremely disappointed by what Kyle said last night during an iRacing Event. The words that he chose to use are offensive and unacceptable. As of this moment, we are suspending Kyle without pay while we work through this situation with all appropriate parties.”

NASCAR: “NASCAR is aware of insensitive language used by a driver during an iRacing event on Sunday, and is currently gathering more information.”

By Jerry Jordan, Editor

For the second time in two weeks, a NASCAR Cup Series driver is in hot water over events that happened in an iRacing/eNASCAR event in the virtual world, that has now impacted their careers in real life.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW VIDEO:

Last week, Bubba Wallace lost a sponsor when he quit a virtual race being televised on FS1 and now, Kyle Larson is having to explain away a derogatory comment made while trying to link up his iRacing headset to his spotter during a virtual race. The two couldn’t hear one another and Larson exclaimed, “You can’t hear me? Hey, ni****.”

Larson was practicing for an iRacing event being hosted by another Cup Series driver and his comment was like a shot heard around the world, both online and off, as other drivers and fans reacted with shock.

“Hey Kyle, you’re talking to everyone, bud,” said one driver in response.

Another asked, “No way, did that just happen?”

The incident didn’t appear to be malicious but the sensitivities involving the racial slur are almost unforgivable in today’s society. It was captured on Larson’s Twitch video stream that can be monitored by fans and other drivers, as well. Larson, who is of Asian descent, drives the No. 42 for Chip Ganassi Racing and is a graduate of the NASCAR diversity program.

Reaction on social media was swift with many people creating memes claiming the gaffe will be the end of Larson’s career. Others decried the incident to NASCAR wanting immediate action against the 27-year-old driver. However, not everyone was against Larson. Some people on Facebook defended him, saying the comment was spontaneous and not meant in a derogatory manner.

“People are overreacting on Kyle Larson,” wrote Matt Clayton, on NASCAR’s Facebook page.

Another Facebook user, Gary Nelson Jr. wrote, “Was the word used in Malice. ?? NO!!! So get over it. NOT SAYING IT’S RIGHT BUT IT’S NOT THE FIRST TIME ANYONE’S USED THAT WORD OR HONKY OR REDNECK CRACKER.”

“This PC crap is getting out of hand. It’s a word. If there was no hatred or evil behind it then get over it,” wrote Kristine Gray, in a reply that brought multiple hearts and thumbs-up.

A request for comment from Chip Ganassi Racing had not been received as of publication.

21 Comments

1. Pingback: Kyle Larson reportedly uses racial slur during eSports event - Jayski's NASCAR Silly Season Site

2. Thomas Edwards

April 13, 2020 at 8:02 am

So, it appears the problem was that he was being heard.

3. Reinaldo

April 13, 2020 at 10:12 am

NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO USE THAT WORD.. IM PUERTO RICAN AND WILL NEVER USE THE N WORD OR H WORD.. I GIVE PEOPLE RESPECT I DONT LOOK AT COLOR I LOOK AT THEM HOW THEY TREAT ME WITH RESPECT.. NASCAR SHOULD FIRE HIM.

4. SUPPORT BDS

April 13, 2020 at 12:51 pm

It’s interesting how Kyle Larson only became a driver because of a ‘diversity program.’ Basically, Kyle Larson is two-faced trash. I’m sure he plays down his own mixed-race ethnicity to be considered ‘one of the boys.’

5. glenn

April 13, 2020 at 1:04 pm

what a bunch of thin skinned ass clowns, so what? really? these are the people who back sharp ton and warrren and biden, oh wait, lets not forget the biggest racist of all, Michelle Obama, so take your little pansie asses and your thin skin and and go watch queer eye for morons like the ones who got offended

• Jerry Jordan

April 13, 2020 at 3:59 pm

EDITOR’S NOTE: I am posting your comment because I don’t believe in disallowing people their right to comment on articles, as long as they don’t make libelous or threatening comments. That said, if you are accusing me of being “thin-skinned” or a “liberal” then you obviously don’t know much about me. Thanks for reading but please educate yourself before making a statement that has absolutely zero fact. — Jerry Jordan, Editor

6. glenn

April 13, 2020 at 1:06 pm

your another thin skinned assmunch, freaking libatard

7. glenn

April 13, 2020 at 1:09 pm

did it bother his spotter i wonder

8. Debby Daugherty

April 13, 2020 at 3:04 pm

I can see heat of the moment comment, but there are plenty of other words to say, I even despise it when African Americans can use it in a song or movie, it is not right, then complain when a white uses it. Either way, don’t fire him, a nice fine and warning is in order and maybe another class on diversity. In this world its a 2 way street. I like to think I respect people, A good word to replace that would have been ” you can’t hear me? hey sh*head”,

9. mickey

April 13, 2020 at 4:40 pm

I heard it said once “YOU THAT ARE AMONG US CAST THE FIRST STONE”. It is like you never sinned.
    Give him a break.

10. Sid Williams

April 13, 2020 at 5:09 pm

Fake comment during a fake race. Big deal. Fine him ? Yeah and maybe some diversity sessions. He’s already apoligized. You fire him and you”re gona piss off about a million people. You do know that only about 1% of black people even listen to or go to a nascar race. Right ?

11. Pingback: Kyle Larson makes exercise of racial slur at some stage in eSports match UPDATES: Suspended, apologizes, Credit One, McDonalds fall sponsorship | Racing Elite Formula 1, Motorsport, Racing

12. Joel Davenport

April 13, 2020 at 11:37 pm

It was not directed at anyone in a derogatory way.I have heard many drivers make direct derogatory comments about one another and that’s ok in the heat of battle for ratings.Give me a break he’s a good guy,he made a mistake lesson learned

13. Joel Davenport

April 13, 2020 at 11:46 pm

It was not directed at anyone in a derogatory way.l have heard many drivers say derogatory remarks to each other,but that’s ok at the end of the race fighting for the win,in front of the cameras for ratings.He’s a good guy he made a mistake ,lesson learned

14. WILLIAM L MILLER

April 14, 2020 at 7:20 am

Given his use it’s pretty safe to say it isn’t the first time. Probably used pretty frequently when he thinks he knows who is listening. Then he isn’t sorry he said it, he said it and he meant to say it. Done it lots before and maybe will again. He is definitely sorry he got caught saying it. If his regret for saying it was legit he would have taken steps to curtail his use WAYYY before this. I could get caught saying lots of things that could get me into different levels of trouble if I was recorded or broadcast, but that would never slip out because I never use the word in any context, ever. It is on the tip of the tongue for him because he uses it.

TL;DR – The issue isn’t that he said it once, it’s that if he said it once in this situation, it PROBABLY means he uses it way more often than just that one time.

15. Squidbilly

April 14, 2020 at 8:11 am

I wonder if he has ever been called chink, gook, or jap?

16. Nora

April 14, 2020 at 9:22 am

I get that some see this as people over reacting. Some may even think that he did nothing wrong. We all can have our own opinion of using that word or words like that one. However, our individual opinion means NOTHING! Kyle was under contracts with his car owner, sponsors and NASCAR. All of them required a level of professionalism and a higher level of social behavior. Kyle agreed with those requirements because he signed those contract and accepted their money. Weither Kyle or any other NASCAR driver is on camera, on microphone, internet, in the garage area or local store – if you are caught violating those contracts, then you are subject to the penalties in those contract that you signed. For Kyle it was a racial comment. For other it has been drug, drunk driving, physical abuse of others, etc… If you violate the contract, then you lose the benefits of that contact. End of story.

17. Edgardo

April 14, 2020 at 11:44 am

Bingo. It’s the casual, off-the-cuff, joking use of the word that cost him his sponsors and his job… Remember when people got bent out of shape over Bubba saying video games are stupid and quitting mid-game?

Dear Nascar drivers: Ignore the broadcast video games. They’re dumb. Social distance at the track with some practice laps.

Dear fans: Don’t watch grown men play video games on television. It’s dumb. Play your own racing videogame. It’s more fun.

18. Paul Jones

April 14, 2020 at 11:46 am

Nascar needs to do away with that kind of racing before it messes up more drivers

19. Edgardo

April 14, 2020 at 11:51 am

Spot on, Nora… Larson’s a real talent. I hope he gets the chance to race again at some point. It may take a while.

Chastain’s the obvious choice to get the seat, but I’m still a Juan Pablo fan. He’s Harvick’s age and still doing some racin. Just sayin.

20. Michael Isaza

April 14, 2020 at 4:48 pm

I applaud you, Mr. Jordan for your appropriate response to those calling you out as a liberal, pansie, etc. Let me preface this by saying I’ve been a Nascar fan for 40 years. I was born and raised in SW Georgia where that word was commonly used by alot of people. I chose then, and now, not to say things like that in private or in public. I just dont have it in my heart to use a word that I KNOW is offensive to so many. What I find interesting is that the reason, IMHO, that Nascar ratings and attendance has declined so greatly in the last decade or so is because finally most Americans choose to distance themselves from racist behaviour and unfortunately, this was just another example of that. Those of you claiming that thin skinned people are somehow responsible for Nascars decline in popularity are just wrong. Truth is, Nascar is trying to distance themselves from the good ol boy mentality and this just pulls then right back into the fray. Real fans are not ok with using that word, not now and not ever and if the France’s are smart, they will see to it that Kyle spends some years racing outlaws before he ever gets back in the big seat again. I hope Kyle can rebound, but he is getting what he deserves.